August 06, 2011

Stay Young, Go Dancing

Eeek! The new 2012 IKEA catalogue came out recently and I found myself drooling over the entire online magazine and picking out everything that I love. It got me to thinking about how it's so strange that our tastes change as we get older, whether it be music, food, fashion, decor or our taste in who we're attracted to. I often find myself thinking about how much my tastes have evolved and how they're staying relatively constant at this time.

When I was a teenager (doesn't that sound awful?) my taste in music hovered around bands like Yellowcard, My Chemical Romance and The Used, anything that sang to the closet angsty teen that was inside of me. I was about 16 or 17 during this time and its strange to think that I don't actively listen to these bands anymore. Right now, my musical taste has evolved to a genre of alternative/electronic, which if you're interested in checking out, hit up my posts labeled "music" in my sidebar. In my Audience Research class that I took this summer, we read an article that discussed our musical tastes as we grow up. I found it super interesting that our musical tastes are defined between the ages of 18-22 and we tend to lock into that for the rest of our lives. My professor mentioned that the same thing goes for our creative ideas and opinions/views. Neat, huh?

As for food tastes, I would have to say that my palate has both changed and stayed the same. I still have a strong aversion towards sea food, red meat of any kind and the crusts on sandwiches (weird, right?). Then again, I've grown accustomed to foods like olives and red peppers.

Fashion wise, I think my personal style has changed remarkably. In high school I didn't have much of a fashion sense, I remember wearing things like flared jeans and baggy t-shirts and not caring what I wore didn't phase me at all. I don't think it was until I was 17 that I started being more conscious of what I wore. I've definitely committed some fashion crimes during my time at university, but I'm definitely more picky about what I wear and I often have times when I look in  my closet and drawers and can't find a single thing to wear. 

As for my taste in boys, I think I've fallen all over the place in the past 6 or 7 years. Through high school I had a little thing for punk guys, I loved the black hair, the skinny jeans and the lip piercings, all of which I think were tied to my musical tastes. At this moment, I think I'm really picky. I haven't really noticed anyone that has piqued my interests; a guy that shares my love for beautiful film, who loves sarcasm as much as I do and who I'm actually interested in talking to for more than 5 minutes without any awkward silence.

Eeeps, I've gotten way off track than what I was initially going to post about. Here are a few pictures of the IKEA rooms that I'm loving right now. 


ps: How has your taste changed up until now and in what ways? I'm eager to hear!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! I read each and every one and will get back to you :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...